“It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.” – Aristotle
This is an episode all about redemption. This redemption story started with support. And this conversation features Mental Health & Sports Performance Coach, Lisa Bonta Sumii sharing space with Marques Ogden. Marques is a former NFL player and now an inspirational keynote speaker.
Growing up in a single-parent home with a father that inspired perseverance and fairness, Marques Ogden learned how to define his values and set goals. Ogden attended Howard University from 1998 to 2002 where he played Division I football.
Ogden then followed his dream and his brother Jonathan’s footsteps, eventually getting drafted into the NFL in 2003. Overall, he played for five years as an offensive lineman with the Tennessee Titans, Buffalo Bills, Baltimore Ravens, and Jacksonville Jaguars.
Following his NFL career Ogden started Kayden Premier Enterprises, a construction company in 2007 which quickly escalated to being a multi-million dollar construction firm. But in 2013, it all crashed down around him when Ogden got involved with a bad business deal — he ended up losing everything.
Ogden became a speaker to help others succeed where he failed. As a keynote speaker, executive coach, and corporate trainer, his passion is to create value for every client. Ogden’s clients consist of AXA Advisors, The Home Depot, JP Morgan, and Chase, among others.
This is the AthMindset Podcast Series on SportsEpreneur. And it’s all about mental health in sports.
From Lisa: I’m Lisa Bonta Sumii and this is the AthMindset Podcast Series on SportsEpreneur. This podcast series is a space for conversations with athletes, coaches, practitioners, and stakeholders in sports. And it’s where those individuals share their perspectives, experiences, and thoughts on mental health in sports.
Eric Kasimov of SportsEpreneur is generously hosting the AthMindset Podcast Series on his platform as he deeply believes that these conversations are essential and deserve to be prioritized.
This is the AthMindset Podcast Series on SportsEpreneur. SportsEpreneur — the content platform where sports, entrepreneurship, and mental health collide! If you are looking to start a podcast or create original content, you have to talk with the team at SportsEpreneur. I work with them and I vouch for them. It’s that simple. Go to SportsE.io to learn more.
Are you an athlete or entrepreneur looking to create content? Learn More.
Website worth a look:
More content around the transition from sports to life after sports:
- SE26 | James Cotton | A Buckeye Transitioning in Sports, Life, and Business
- SE50 | Nate Oliver | Ohio State Buckeyes and Life After Football
- AthMindset | Four-Time Olympian and Athletes Soul Founder, Myriam Glez
- SE69 | Sports Psychology and Mental Training with Henrik Hjarsbæk
- Marques Ogden: Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram | Core Magazine (100 Most Influential Blacks Today)
- Lisa Bonta Sumii: LinkedIn | Twitter
- Eric Kasimov: Twitter | LinkedIn
- SportsEpreneur: TikTok | Instagram | Twitter
That’s a wrap:
- Thank you for listening to this AthMindset Podcast Series episode on SportsEpreneur titled, “Marques Ogden | Former NFL Player, Servant Leader, Inspirational Speaker”.
- Follow this podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Follow this podcast on Spotify
- Intro Music, “escape” was provided by Pluto Tracks.
- Check out more from our content platform: SportsEpreneur. The platform where sports and entrepreneurship and now mental health collide!