14 Sep Cam Newton Gives Dentists a Content Gift That We Can All Learn From
Online presence is key in marketing, but it’s not enough to just have a couple of social media accounts and a website—you actually have to use these platforms to say something, or no one will pay attention. Your content has to be interesting and engaging for your target market, and you have to post regularly. A website only helps you if people visit it, and no one will bother if they know there won’t be anything new.
So, where are you going to get ideas for all this content?
Easy: let it come to you.
Say you are in the dental industry* in the Carolinas. And say you’re a football fan, so of course you watch the Carolina Panthers season opener. At one point in the game, you see Cam Newton flossing his teeth.
Talk about a gift for dentists!
Dentists are always trying to create awareness around toothbrushing and flossing, but it’s not like dental hygiene is cool—or, it wasn’t cool until recently. Now, we have an unedited, unscripted visual of one of the most popular athletes in sports today taking care of his teeth!
So, how do you, as a dentist, turn this image into content you can use?
• Write a blog post about how Cam’s public flossing made you feel
• Ask your patients or co-workers for their reactions—video-record their answers and (with their permission!) post the videos to Snapchat, Facebook, or YouTube
• Run a contest for selfies of people flossing in public. The most creative entrant gets a free dental cleaning
• Have your staff and co-workers create images of themselves flossing. Post those images online with the caption “Cam flosses and so do we. How about you?”
You get the idea.
Whatever business you’re in, you’ll get plenty of ideas for content coming your way if you just keep alert for them. When you notice something worth posting about, brainstorm about it and see what you come up with. Don’t be afraid that your ideas might not be suitable—some might not be, but others will be pure gold. Brainstorming without judgment is the best way to get the creative juices flowing. It’s ok to get someone else’s input, too, and if writing or video production aren’t your thing, it’s fine to get someone else to bring your ideas to life from notes. The point is that the content ideas you need are out there.
* Disclaimer: my father is a dentist and he still tells me to floss. Not cool!
3 Key Points:
1) Observe and let the content come to you.
2) Get Creative.
Sports & Business:
- San Francisco 49ers at Carolina Panthers (Home Opener)
- KazMedia: Will help you find content, create content and distribute content.
- BlueHost: Hosting service that we use at KazSource and Sportsepreneur.
- Envato: Themes for your website that allow you to achieve your goal.
- ConvertKit: Email marketing made easy so you can focus on the goal.