“College basketball is on an island.” – Coach Alan Major in conversation with Fran Fraschilla
Who better to talk to about the practical and essential changes college basketball needs to make in order to evolve and keep up with basketball globally. In today’s game, college basketball is just one of the options that exist before entering the NBA. It wasn’t that long ago that this sport was the only option. International basketball, The G League, and Overtime Elite are the other options that exist for graduating high school players. And the thing is, each one of those alternatives is growing, fast.
The international game is clearly having an impact as some of the best NBA players did not play college basketball including Nikola Jokić and Luka Dončić. Now, none of these other options have March Madness, but that NCAA Basketball Tournament is only three weekends in March and early April. While it is an opportunity for players to make a name for themselves (see Ja Morant) and for collegiate sports programs to rake in cash, college basketball needs to change.
As we look for solutions, we talk with former college basketball coach at St. Johns and Manhattan and the leader of covering international basketball, Fran Fraschilla. Fran Fraschilla talks about coaching in college basketball, the 24-second shot clock, and more.
This SportsMatterz episode is from the podcast conversation titled, ClutchTimeout | Fran Fraschilla | Leading Through Adversity with Coach Alan Major.
Welcome to SportsMatterz, a SportsE+ Podcast Series bringing you focused content on a significant thought or topic related to the world of sports, entrepreneurship, and athlete mental health.
Useful web pages from this episode:
More content related to how college basketball needs to change:
- The Future of College Basketball – Where Is It Headed?
- AthMindset | Trey Wertz of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish & Langston Wertz Jr of The Charlotte Observer
- ClutchTimeout | Thad Matta | Championship Culture Stories
That’s a wrap:
- Thank you for listening to this SportsMatterz episode on SportsE+ titled, “College Basketball Needs to Change with Fran Fraschilla”.
- Follow this podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Follow this podcast on Spotify
- Intro Music, “escape” was provided by Pluto Tracks.
- Check out more from our content platform: SportsE+. The platform where sports + entrepreneurship + podcasting + web3 + mental health collide!