“The credit belongs to the ‘person’ who is actually in the arena”. -Theodore Roosevelt. In this episode, Eric Kasimov chats with Matt Doherty, North Carolina Tar Heel, former College Basketball Coach, and business coach.
Coach Doherty and Eric explore growing up on the playground courts, leaders that have shaped so many, and dealing with haters and other obstacles.
Coach Matt delivers some amazing lines in this episode including, “The Man in the Arena” quote as shown below. And this line as he discussed his early days: “the park is a truth-teller, basketball is a truth-teller.”
Matt is a North Carolina Tar Heel. A college basketball National Champion. And a college teammate to the greatest basketball player ever, Michael Jordan. Matt is the former head coach at Notre Dame, UNC, Florida Atlantic, and SMU, while also serving as an assistant at Kansas for 7 years.
Today Coach Doherty coaches businesses. And after chatting with him, it’s easy to see why. We are grateful Matt stopped by to chat with us on the SportsEpreneur Podcast.
“If you create an organization with a fear of failure, your environment will never succeed.”
Want to collaborate with the SportsEpreneur team? Visit: https://sportsepreneur.com/sports-marketing/
Here is the full “The Man in the Arena” quote from Theodore Roosevelt via GoodReads.com:
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” – Theodore Roosevelt | As seen on GoodReads.com.
“The Man in the Arena” with Matt Doherty
Realizing the Importance of Creating Content
Take the Haters Head On Says Matt Doherty
Confidence is Key
Enjoying the Journey
Dealing with Adversity, Failure, and Obstacles including COVID-19
Practice, Practice, Practice
Matt Doherty on Playing with Michael Jordan
Surrounding Yourself with Incredible, Motivational People
Are you an athlete or entrepreneur looking to create content? Learn More.
Useful links from this episode:
- Matt Doherty Business Coaching and Speaking
Other important links
- Enjoy the Journey
- Event + Response = Outcome with Tim Kight
- Empowering Others to Be Happy with David Meltzer
- The Wonder of Sports and Entrepreneurship
- WFNZ Charlotte with Matt Doherty
- The Strategy Addict
- Dean Smith
- 1992 Chicago Bulls Game 6, 4th quarter comeback vs Portland Trailblazers
- 1982 College Basketball National Championship | UNC vs Georgetown
Connect with us:
- Thank you so much for listening to this SportsEpreneur podcast episode all about leading without fear.
- SportsEpreneur Podcast Episodes are all about colliding sports and entrepreneurship–we also discuss content creation, marketing, life, and thinking.
- We hope you will Subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcasts.
- Image of Matt Doherty was provided by Matt Doherty – via Instagram Account.
- Music, “escape” provided by Pluto Tracks.
- Check out more from our sports and business content platform: SportsEpreneur. The place where sports and entrepreneurship collide!