In this empowering episode of Athlete Mindset, we’re honored to host Danita Johnson, a trailblazer in the world of sports. As the President of Business Operations for D.C. United, Danita brings a wealth of experience, innovation, and leadership to the forefront. We discuss the core themes of consistency, communication, and commitment. And then explore how these principles have shaped her career and success. Danita shares her unique perspective on the process over outcome, the importance of being a “professional friend,” her addiction to building and growing in her field, and how confidence, pressure, and purpose intertwine in her journey.
As a subscriber, you will receive exclusive content and consistent updates on athlete mental health. With your support and amplification, we can ensure more voices are heard and more individuals are impacted.
About this Episode | Danita Johnson, D.C. United | Consistency, Communication, Commitment
- Consistency, Communication, Commitment: Exploring the foundational elements that drive success in sports business and personal growth.
- Process Over Outcome: Danita’s philosophy focuses on the journey rather than the destination.
- Being a “Professional Friend”: How building strong relationships contributes to personal and professional success.
- “Addicted to the Build”: A deep dive into Danita’s passion for creating, developing, and enhancing sports organizations.
- Confidence, Pressure, and Purpose: Unpacking how these elements interact in high-stakes environments.
- Preparation, Routine, and Mindset: The daily habits and mental frameworks that fuel success.
- The Power of Authentic Leadership: The impact of genuine, transparent leadership in the sports industry.
- Danita Johnson stands as the first Black President of an MLS Club and only the third woman in league history to serve in this prestigious role.
- Danita has a 17-year career marked by significant achievements, including record-breaking sales, innovative marketing strategies, and impactful community engagement.
- Under Danita Johnson’s leadership, D.C. United saw a substantial increase in ticket sales, concessions, apparel sales, and partnership revenue, alongside hosting landmark events.
- Danita spearheaded the re-introduction of the D.C. United Foundation and significantly enhanced the club’s community relations efforts, positively impacting over 125,000 individuals.
- From launching professional franchises to leading the WNBA’s Los Angeles Sparks to historic attendances and sponsorship dollars, Danita’s influence spans across major sports leagues.
- Through her mission of “Unite Sport. Build Community. Win Championships,” Danita has fostered a culture of success and community involvement.
- A native of Fayetteville, North Carolina, and a graduate of Western Carolina University, Danita is deeply involved in community service, serving on multiple boards and as a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
This episode is a must-listen for anyone interested in the intersection of sports, leadership, and personal growth, offering invaluable insights from one of the industry’s most influential figures.
- Presented by SportsE Media: a digital sports media brand for entrepreneurs engaged in sports
- Lisa Bonta Sumii: LinkedIn | Instagram | website
- SportsE Media: TikTok | Instagram | X
- Danita Johnson: Instagram | LinkedIn | US Soccer | DC United
- Michelle Alozie: Navigating the Challenges of College and Professional Soccer
- Thankfulness = Success with Pro Soccer Player, Luca Deza
- US World Cup Series | The Biggest Sporting Event, Even Bigger Than the Super Bowl
- Beat Provided By freebeats.io | Produced By White Hot
Lisa Bonta Sumii, LCSW | CEO & Founder of AthMindset®
Lisa brings a high level of expertise to the athlete mental health space, from both a clinical and performance focus. She works with elite youth athletes, collegiate student-athletes, Olympians/Olympic hopefuls, professional athletes, coaches, teams, and the entire sport ecosystem.
Lisa is the first-ever Mental Performance Coach for the Oakland Roots Sports Club, a men’s professional soccer team, in the USL, working alongside other coaches on the Technical Team, as well as the Sports Medicine staff.
Lisa is listed in the US Olympic & Paralympic Committee’s Mental Health Registry, the NFL Player Association’s Clinician Directory, and the Major League Rugby Mental Health and Wellness Directory.
As a direct response to need, Lisa founded AthMindset® – a diverse team of athlete-centered, licensed mental health clinicians and mental performance consultants, serving across several states.
Lisa is a professional podcast host and podcast guest. She hosts the Athlete Mindset Podcast and co-hosts Roots Radio. She is a keynote speaker, an accomplished TEDx Speaker, speaks nationally and internationally, and is often invited to speak at conferences and contribute to expert panels.
Lisa has been quoted in Time Magazine, Teen Vogue, Women’s Health Magazine, as well as being interviewed on the BBC World News and Radio Bliss, in Jordan. Her first book, The AthMindset® Workbook: Training your mind for optimal mental health in sport and in life is now available.
Lisa received her Master’s in Clinical Social Work from Smith College School for Social Work and attended the University of California at Santa Barbara as an undergraduate. She is a proud member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.