Welcome to another inspiring episode of the Athlete Mindset podcast! In today’s conversation, we sit down with Vanessa De Jesus, a remarkable collegiate basketball player from Duke University, also known for her significant role in the Philippine National Team. Beyond her prowess on the court, Vanessa discusses her life off the court, where it’s all about family!
As a subscriber, you will receive exclusive content and consistent updates on athlete mental health.
With your support and amplification, we can ensure more voices are heard and more individuals are impacted.
Topics discussed with Vanessa De Jesus:
- How Vanessa’s mom inspired her to pursue a pre-med track in college
- Balancing being an athlete with a rigorous major
- Vanessa’s goals after graduation
- The experience of playing with the Philippine national team
- Vanessa’s experience learning the piano, and the importance of having various hobbies/passions
- The importance of being a mental health advocate, and managing social media so it remains positive
- Point Guard for the Duke University Blue Devils, Majoring in Pre-Med
- In the summer of 2023, Vanessa played for the Philippine Women’s National Team
- Vanessa is a talented Pianist, mental health advocate, and has a deep love for family
- Athlete Mindset is part of the podcast network, QuietLoud Studios
- Presented by SportsE Media: a digital sports media brand for entrepreneurs engaged in sports
- Lisa Bonta Sumii: LinkedIn | Instagram | website
- SportsE Media: TikTok | Instagram | X
- Vanessa De Jesus: Instagram | Bio
- Duke University’s Approach to Athlete Mental Health with Dr. Aaron Goodson
- The Mental Game in Sports with Aren Ulmer
- Beat Provided By freebeats.io | Produced By White Hot
Lisa Bonta Sumii, LCSW | CEO & Founder of AthMindset®
Lisa brings a high level of expertise to the athlete mental health space, from both a clinical and performance focus. She works with elite youth athletes, collegiate student-athletes, Olympians/Olympic hopefuls, professional athletes, coaches, teams, and the entire sport ecosystem.
Lisa is the first-ever Mental Performance Coach for the Oakland Roots Sports Club, a men’s professional soccer team, in the USL, working alongside other coaches on the Technical Team, as well as the Sports Medicine staff.
Lisa is listed in the US Olympic & Paralympic Committee’s Mental Health Registry, the NFL Player Association’s Clinician Directory, and the Major League Rugby Mental Health and Wellness Directory.
As a direct response to need, Lisa founded AthMindset® – a diverse team of athlete-centered, licensed mental health clinicians and mental performance consultants, serving across several states.
Lisa is a professional podcast host and podcast guest. She hosts the Athlete Mindset Podcast and co-hosts Roots Radio. She is a keynote speaker, an accomplished TEDx Speaker, speaks nationally and internationally, and is often invited to speak at conferences and contribute to expert panels.
Lisa has been quoted in Time Magazine, Teen Vogue, Women’s Health Magazine, as well as being interviewed on the BBC World News and Radio Bliss, in Jordan. Her first book, The AthMindset® Workbook: Training your mind for optimal mental health in sport and in life is now available.
Lisa received her Master’s in Clinical Social Work from Smith College School for Social Work and attended the University of California at Santa Barbara as an undergraduate. She is a proud member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.