In this AthMindset episode, Lisa Bonta Sumii, LCSW, CSW, shares space with DeVante DuBose. DeVante is a soccer player for the Richmond Kickers of the USL. He is from Oakland, California, and before joining the Kickers, he was the first-ever signing for the Oakland Roots Soccer Club. As you’ll quickly realize though, DeVante is way more than a soccer player. He is a deep thinker, a positive influence, and a privilege to know.
Right before this recording started, DeVante was asked, “how are you doing?” And in DeVante’s charismatic way he said with emotion and realness, “I’m too blessed to be stressed.” Simply put, we all need more of DeVante in our life. And with this young man appearing on this podcast episode, we’re hopeful, some of his style and good vibes will find its way into the world.
And while DeVante Dubose is no doubt having an impact, it all starts with himself. He has many projects going on, but the first and most important project is the project of himself. Hence the title of this episode, “Project Myself”. With Lisa’s support as a therapist and others like her, we think this episode is a great proof of concept and awareness for working on yourself.
Lisa and DeVante have an open dialogue about what mental health means, becoming from adversity, and asking questions. And with that, we hope you enjoy this deep and thoughtful conversation between Lisa Bonta Sumii and DeVante DuBose.
This is the AthMindset Podcast Series on SportsEpreneur. And it’s all about mental health in sports.
I’m Lisa Bonta Sumii and this is the AthMindset Podcast Series on SportsEpreneur.
This podcast series is a space for conversations with athletes, coaches, practitioners, and stakeholders in sports. And it’s where those individuals share their perspectives, experiences, and thoughts on mental health in sports.
Eric Kasimov of SportsEpreneur is generously hosting the AthMindset Podcast Series on his platform as he deeply believes that these conversations are essential and deserve to be prioritized.
This is the AthMindset Podcast Series on SportsEpreneur. SportsEpreneur — the content platform where sports, entrepreneurship, and mental health collide!
If you are looking to start a podcast or create original content, you have to talk with the team at SportsEpreneur. I work with them and I vouch for them. It’s that simple. Go to SportsE.io to learn more.
Headlines from the AthMindset episode: Project Myself with DeVante DuBose
Starting Your Day Right
My First Project is Myself
How and Why to Journal by DeVante Dubose
Mental Health Means Everything
Becoming from Adversity
Astronomical Approach to Stars
What Soccer Means to DeVante DuBose
DeVante DuBose’s Family | Football and Sacrifice
Coaching Children | Or As DeVante DuBose calls them, “baby stars”
Ask Questions and Wonder
Are you an athlete or entrepreneur looking to create content? Learn More.
Useful web pages from this episode:
- AthMindset | Lisa Bonta Sumii, LCSW
- TransferMarkt | the details of DeVante’s playing career
- KazCM Podcast Production
More content on Mental Health:
- Soccer Raised Me with Nana Attakora
- Normalizing Mental Health in Sports with Lisa Bonta Sumii
- Mental Health in Sports is Everything and Skip Bayless is Flat-Out Wrong
- Lisa Bonta Sumii: LinkedIn, Twitter
- DeVante DuBose: LinkedIn, Instagram, Richmond Kickers
- Eric Kasimov: Twitter, LinkedIn
That’s a wrap:
- Thank you for listening to this AthMindset Podcast Series episode on SportsEpreneur titled, “Project Myself with DeVante DuBose.”
- SportsEpreneur podcast episodes are all about colliding sports and entrepreneurship.
- We hope you will Subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you take in your podcasts!
- Intro Music, “escape” was provided by Pluto Tracks.
- Image of DeVante DuBose provided by his personal Instagram Page.
- Check out more from our content platform: SportsEpreneur. The place where sports, entrepreneurship, and mental health collide!