Many see the NFL as the peak, but for Colin Jonov that was just the beginning. We talk all things mental fortitude in this episode of Athlete Mindset.
In this episode:
- Getting cut from the Buffalo Bills was a huge wakeup call for Colin
- Learning to identify with the things you can control (who you are)
- Athletes are often seen as gladiators, but behind the scenes, they are normal people with lives and emotions outside of their sport
- Social media is a great tool with the potential to be negative, but if we can make it positive it is a great tool
About Colin Jonov:
- Three-time member of the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll
- At Bucknell, he set a school record with a 95-yard interception return for a touchdown against Lafayette
- Invited to Buffalo Bills Rookie Camp
- CEO and Founder of Athletic Fortitude
- Received MBA from the University of Pittsburgh
- Athlete Mindset is part of the KazSource Podcast Network
- Presented by SportsE Media: a digital sports media brand for entrepreneurs engaged in sports
- Content brings people together: KazCM
Social media and more:
- Lisa Bonta Sumii: LinkedIn | Instagram | AthMindset website
- SportsE Media: TikTok | Instagram | X
- Colin Jonov: Instagram | LinkedIn | X
Related episodes to “Colin Jonov | NFL Was Just the Start”:
- Dr. Jessica Bartley, Director of Mental Health for Team USA
- Marques Sullivan | The Pride of Being a Buffalo Bill
- Simplifying Sports Science and Overcoming Adversity with Dr. Erik Korem
Two current projects:
- We released a book series: Altered State of Affairs & Reach for the Stars
- Short-form video production: KazCM
- This podcast was produced by the team at KazCM
- Beat Provided By freebeats.io | Produced By White Hot
Lisa Bonta Sumii, LCSW | CEO & Founder of AthMindset®
Lisa brings a high level of expertise to the athlete mental health space, from both a clinical and performance focus. She works with elite youth athletes, collegiate student-athletes, Olympians/Olympic hopefuls, professional athletes, coaches, teams, and the entire sport ecosystem.
Lisa is the first-ever Mental Performance Coach for the Oakland Roots Sports Club, a men’s professional soccer team, in the USL, working alongside other coaches on the Technical Team, as well as the Sports Medicine staff.
Lisa is listed in the US Olympic & Paralympic Committee’s Mental Health Registry, the NFL Player Association’s Clinician Directory, and the Major League Rugby Mental Health and Wellness Directory.
As a direct response to need, Lisa founded AthMindset® – a diverse team of athlete-centered, licensed mental health clinicians and mental performance consultants, serving across several states.
Lisa is a professional podcast host and podcast guest. She hosts the Athlete Mindset Podcast and co-hosts Roots Radio. She is a keynote speaker, an accomplished TEDx Speaker, speaks nationally and internationally, and is often invited to speak at conferences and contribute to expert panels.
Lisa has been quoted in Time Magazine, Teen Vogue, Women’s Health Magazine, as well as being interviewed on the BBC World News and Radio Bliss, in Jordan. Her first book, The AthMindset® Workbook: Training your mind for optimal mental health in sport and in life is now available.
Lisa received her Master’s in Clinical Social Work from Smith College School for Social Work and attended the University of California at Santa Barbara as an undergraduate. She is a proud member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.