The Athlete Mindset podcast presents a conversation with student-athlete, Albert Urias. In this episode, Lisa Bonta Sumii, LCSW, CSW and Albert Urias discuss “controlling your controllables”, the life of a wrestler in college, and mindset.
- CSUB Wrestler, Bachelor’s Degree
- Mindset is crucial, and mental health is a huge component in sports and in life
- There’s still a stigma in talking about mental health
- Recommendations to shift your mindset – making conscious decisions to better oneself
- Practicing discipline is key to success – discipline can be defined as doing what you’re saying you’re going to do
- “Controlling your controllables” – let go of something you can’t control and focus on what you can!
- Set realistic goals
- Strive to be positive and uplifting to better your environment (colleagues, coworkers, etc.)
- A typical day of a collegiate athlete
- College athlete lifestyle requires a huge sacrifice, and how much you want it determines your success. How much you’re willing to sacrifice, how bad you want to be here, and why are you doing this are questions you need to ask yourself to achieve success
Short Bio from Albert Urias:
My name is Albert Urias, a student-athlete on the men’s wrestling team at CSUB. I am currently a redshirt Junior. This past season I placed 4th at the Pac-12 Championships. I also had the honor of being named Pac-12 Wrestler of the Week in February, along with being ranked as high as #31 in the country. My record was 25-14 on the year, and I am one of the team captains on the team. So far this season, I am 5-1 on the year.
Academically, I graduated this past spring with a 3.3 GPA and a bachelor’s degree in Kinesiology. I am currently in the teaching credential program with the intent of becoming a PE teacher. I have started teaching at a local high school in Bakersfield, while still training and competing.
Mindset is crucial to me, and mental health is a major component of my life.
About the host of Athlete Mindset:
Athlete Mindset is part of the KazSource Podcast Network. At KazSource, we love podcasts. In fact, we love building podcasts. Everything from development to production. Because of all that, we’re growing this one-of-a-kind podcast network. If you have a podcast or are looking to launch a new podcast — then we should talk. Connect with us on Twitter or Instagram.
This is the Athlete Mindset podcast. And it’s all about mental health in sports. Presented and produced by SportsE+. Part of the KazSource Podcast Network.
Athlete Mindset is hosted by Lisa Bonta Sumii. Lisa Bonta Sumii is a psychotherapist and mental performance consultant to high-performing athletes at the youth, collegiate, Olympic-hopeful, and professional levels. She is the first-ever Mental Health & Performance Coach at the Oakland Roots SC, a men’s professional soccer team, in the USL. Lisa is the Founder & CEO of AthMindset, a diverse team of practitioners, who serve alongside her.
The Athlete Mindset podcast is a space for conversations with athletes, coaches, practitioners, and stakeholders in sports. And it’s where those individuals share their perspectives, experiences, and thoughts on mental health in sports.
I am Eric Kasimov, Founder of KazSource and the creator of SportsE+. We are hosting the Athlete Mindset podcast on this platform as I deeply believe these conversations are essential and deserve to be prioritized.
Website worth a look:
- KazCM Podcast Production
- KazSource Podcast Network
- AthMindset | Lisa Bonta Sumii, LCSW, CSW
More content around Collegiate Athletes:
- AthMindset | Savanah Whatley Opens Up About Mental Health in Life and Softball
- AthMindset | Sydney Supple | Empowering Women and Northwestern Softball
- CSUB Wrestling: Twitter | Instagram | Website
- Albert Urias: Official CSUB Profile
- Lisa Bonta Sumii: LinkedIn | Twitter
- SportsE+: TikTok | Instagram | Twitter
- Eric Kasimov: Twitter | LinkedIn
That’s a wrap:
- Thank you for listening to this Athlete Mindset episode presented by SportsE+ titled, “The Life of a Collegiate Wrestler with CSUB Student-Athlete, Albert Urias”
- Apple Podcasts
- Beat Provided By freebeats.io | Produced By White Hot
- Check out more from our content platform: SportsE+ | a digital media sports brand and production team