In this episode of Athlete Mindset, Lisa Bonta Sumii sits down with sports industry influencer, Megan Reyes. Megan is a sports host and content creator. She joins this episode to discuss her journey in the soccer world, being a Filipina in the sports industry, and the pros and cons of being an influencer in sports.
Megan is also a mental health advocate, and in this conversation, she emphasizes the importance of differentiating mental health from mental illness. Lisa and Megan share valuable insights on productivity techniques, breaking down tasks, avoiding hustle culture, setting boundaries, and taking breaks.
Join Lisa and Megan as they explore these fascinating topics and more, offering valuable insights for athletes, coaches, and fans alike.
- Break down tasks and focus on the process, not just the outcome.
- Hustle culture can be harmful and counterproductive.
- Content creation as a profession can be exhausting, and it’s important to set boundaries and take breaks.
- Mental health and mental illness are not the same things.
- Networking and building relationships can be crucial for career advancement.
Megan’s quotes from the episode:
- “Be you, and not who you think other people want you to be.”
- “The passion and the drive may never go away, but it changes just a tiny bit when it’s now your obligation”
(a quick ask: a review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify goes a long way!)
Resource list from the episode “Megan Reyes | Sports Industry Influencer”:
Lisa Bonta Sumii, LCSW, CSW | Athlete Mindset podcast host:
Lisa is a psychotherapist and mental performance consultant to high-performing athletes at the youth, collegiate, Olympic-hopeful, and professional levels. She is the first-ever Mental Health & Performance Coach for the Oakland Roots SC, a men’s professional soccer team, in the USL. Lisa is the Founder & CEO of AthMindset, a diverse team of licensed mental health clinicians and mental performance consultants, who serve alongside her.
Megan Reyes | Guest:
Megan Reyes is a prominent content creator and athlete advocate in the sports industry. After almost a decade of working for some of the biggest names in sports, Megan is now an on-camera host and social media specialist for professional athletes, teams, and sport governing bodies.
A leading voice for social justice, diversity and inclusion, and mental health in sports, Megan’s purpose in life is to affect change and bridge communities through the power of sport.
Social media and more:
- Lisa Bonta Sumii: LinkedIn | Twitter | AthMindset website
- Megan Reyes: Linktree
- SportsEpreneur: TikTok | Instagram | Twitter
Related episodes to Megan Reyes | Sports Industry Influencer:
- Creating Amazing Soccer Content with Mo Ali Heydarpour
- Brazilian Football + NFTs | Bruno Pessoa
- Finding Identity Outside of Sport | Northwestern Softball Player, Sydney Supple
Two current projects: