In this episode of Athlete Mindset, host Lisa Bonta Sumii was invited as a guest on Bliss Radio Jordan’s “Rise and Shine” show. The short interview covers a range of topics including mental health, mental performance, the zone of optimal functioning, emotional adjustment, and the stigma surrounding mental health. Lisa also touches on the importance of viewing confidence and motivation as skills rather than innate traits.
A major topic in this episode is the idea that you are more than your sport (“Sports is what we do, not who we are”), which focuses on the intersection of sports and mental health. As a mental performance coach, Lisa provides valuable insights into how athletes can develop their mental skills to improve their overall performance.
Bliss 104.3, the station that hosts “Rise and Shine,” is a variety music radio station based in Amman, Jordan. They play a mix of modern classics from the 80s, 90s, and 2000s, as well as handpicked hits. Tune in to this episode of Athlete Mindset to learn more about Lisa’s expertise and how it can benefit athletes of all levels.
Conversation list from “You Are More Than Your Sport”:
(a quick ask: a review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify goes a long way)
Lisa Bonta Sumii, LCSW, CSW | Athlete Mindset podcast host:
Lisa is a psychotherapist and mental performance consultant to high-performing athletes at the youth, collegiate, Olympic-hopeful, and professional levels. She is the first-ever Mental Health & Performance Coach for the Oakland Roots SC, a men’s professional soccer team, in the USL. Lisa is the Founder & CEO of AthMindset, a diverse team of licensed mental health clinicians and mental performance consultants, who serve alongside her.
- Athlete Mindset is part of the KazSource Podcast Network
- Presented by SportsEpreneur: a digital sports media brand for entrepreneurs engaged in sports
- content brings people together: KazCM
Social media and more:
- Lisa Bonta Sumii: LinkedIn | Twitter | AthMindset website
- Bliss Radio Jordan: Live Stream
- SportsEpreneur: TikTok | Instagram | Twitter
Related episodes to You Are More Than Your Sport:
- Sports As An Outlet | Oakland “Roots Radio”
- Sport Psychology Mentor And Leader, Dr. Kensa Gunter
- Michelle Alozie: Navigating The Challenges Of College And Professional Soccer
- Finding Identity Outside of Sport | Northwestern Softball Player, Sydney Supple
Two current projects:
- We published a book! Check it out on Amazon: Altered State of Affairs
- Short-form video production: KazCM