For Amobi Okugo, efficiency is paramount. While we recognize that efficiency is crucial for high-performing athletes, Amobi extends this concept beyond the realm of sports. Efficient living is not just about optimizing athletic performance; it’s also a key element in managing our lives and finances effectively. This is particularly important for athletes, given their shorter careers, as cultivating these habits becomes essential.
As a subscriber, you will receive exclusive content and consistent updates on athlete mental health.
With your support and amplification, we can ensure more voices are heard and more individuals are impacted.
Topics explored in “The Importance of Being Frugal with Amobi Okugo”:
- Mental conditioning from a young age
- Building skills, strategies, and approaches to manage your relationship with money
- The difference between being cheap and frugal
- Using sports as a way to launch your life after sports
- Teaching and modeling the value of money
About Amobi Okugo:
- Drafted in the first round of the 2010 MLS Super Draft after freshman year at UCLA.
- Played 200+ matches for teams including Philadelphia, Orlando, Kansas City, Portland, Austin, and USMNT youth teams.
- Achieved success as a Team Captain and CBA Player Union Representative, contributing to improved player rights.
- Completed Bachelor’s Degree at the University of Louisville despite leaving UCLA early.
- Founded “A Frugal Athlete,” a financial literacy platform, recognized as a 2021 Forbes 30 Under 30 recipient.
- Athlete Mindset is part of the podcast network, QuietLoud Studios
- Presented by SportsE Media: a digital sports media brand for entrepreneurs engaged in sports
Social media and more:
- Lisa Bonta Sumii: LinkedIn | Instagram | AthMindset website
- SportsE Media: TikTok | Instagram | X
- Amobi Okugo: Website | LinkedIn | Instagram
Related episodes to “The Importance of Being Frugal with Amobi Okugo”:
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in Sports with Damon Wiley
- Understanding Mental Health | Culture in Action Podcast
- Michelle Colson | Footballer and Beyond
- Beat Provided By freebeats.io | Produced By White Hot
Lisa Bonta Sumii, LCSW | CEO & Founder of AthMindset®
Lisa brings a high level of expertise to the athlete mental health space, from both a clinical and performance focus. She works with elite youth athletes, collegiate student-athletes, Olympians/Olympic hopefuls, professional athletes, coaches, teams, and the entire sport ecosystem.
Lisa is the first-ever Mental Performance Coach for the Oakland Roots Sports Club, a men’s professional soccer team, in the USL, working alongside other coaches on the Technical Team, as well as the Sports Medicine staff.
Lisa is listed in the US Olympic & Paralympic Committee’s Mental Health Registry, the NFL Player Association’s Clinician Directory, and the Major League Rugby Mental Health and Wellness Directory.
As a direct response to need, Lisa founded AthMindset® – a diverse team of athlete-centered, licensed mental health clinicians and mental performance consultants, serving across several states.
Lisa is a professional podcast host and podcast guest. She hosts the Athlete Mindset Podcast and co-hosts Roots Radio. She is a keynote speaker, an accomplished TEDx Speaker, speaks nationally and internationally, and is often invited to speak at conferences and contribute to expert panels.
Lisa has been quoted in Time Magazine, Teen Vogue, Women’s Health Magazine, as well as being interviewed on the BBC World News and Radio Bliss, in Jordan. Her first book, The AthMindset® Workbook: Training your mind for optimal mental health in sport and in life is now available.
Lisa received her Master’s in Clinical Social Work from Smith College School for Social Work and attended the University of California at Santa Barbara as an undergraduate. She is a proud member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.