“If things that people say make you feel uncomfortable then 9 times out of 10 it’s true.” This conversation hits on many essential topics in and around the world of sports — namely: equity, diversity and inclusion in sports. The stories and dialogue behind those words need to be shared and heard. Hit play on this episode and you’ll know what we mean.
This episode features psychotherapist and mental performance consultant to elite athletes, Lisa Bonta Sumii, LCSW, CSW sharing space with Damon Wiley. Damon received his B.A. from UC Berkley where he was a student-athlete and a three-time all-American rugby player.
Topics explored in this conversation:
- team chemistry is essential to winning
- equity, diversity and inclusion in sports
- community uplift and mentorship
- sports as a coping mechanism
- breakdown of sports psychology and its importance
- the art of prioritizing time rather than merely managing it
- family support that allowed Damon to become a successful athlete and person
- pushing through difficult times, but addressing them at the same time
- economic equality in America
Damon Wiley is a 23-year-old UC Berkeley graduate who was a 4-year rugby starter and a three-time all-American. He is a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Incorporated, which is a historically black Greek organization that promotes community uplift. Damon puts this idea into practice as a mentor for black children and individuals in his community. He majored in interdisciplinary studies with an emphasis in business, economic development, and history. He speaks passionately about equality in sports and America and credits his uncle, grandmother, and mother for raising him to be the man that he is.
This is the AthMindset Podcast Series on SportsEpreneur. And it’s all about mental health in sports.
From Lisa: I’m Lisa Bonta Sumii and this is the AthMindset Podcast Series on SportsEpreneur. This podcast series is a space for conversations with athletes, coaches, practitioners, and stakeholders in sports. And it’s where those individuals share their perspectives, experiences, and thoughts on mental health in sports.
Eric Kasimov of SportsEpreneur is generously hosting the AthMindset Podcast Series on his platform as he deeply believes that these conversations are essential and deserve to be prioritized.
This is the AthMindset Podcast Series on SportsEpreneur. SportsEpreneur — the content platform where sports, entrepreneurship, and mental health collide! If you are looking to start a podcast or create original content, you have to talk with the team at SportsEpreneur. I work with them and I vouch for them. It’s that simple. Go to SportsE.io to learn more.
Are you an athlete or entrepreneur looking to create content? Learn More.
Website worth a look:
More content around sports and mental health:
- Sports Bring People Together
- SE73 | Sports Have the Power to Change Lives for the Better with Dan Soviero
- AthMindset | Black Representation and Visibility in Softball with Zoe Conley
- SE51 | The Sports Philanthropy Network with Roy Kessel Featuring Eric Kasimov and His Path to Creating Sports Content
- Damon Wiley: LinkedIn
- Lisa Bonta Sumii: LinkedIn | Twitter
- Eric Kasimov: Twitter | LinkedIn
- SportsEpreneur: TikTok | Instagram | Twitter
That’s a wrap:
- Thank you for listening to this AthMindset Podcast Series episode on SportsEpreneur titled, “Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in Sports with Damon Wiley”.
- Follow this podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Follow this podcast on Spotify
- Intro Music, “escape” was provided by Pluto Tracks.
- Check out more from our content platform: SportsEpreneur. The platform where sports and entrepreneurship and now mental health collide!