Be Playful. Be Purposeful. Be Passionate. The core values of our guest today Kim Brady. As a small business coach, soccer player, and former therapist, Kim’s experiences have shaped her unique perspective on success and personal growth. In this episode of the Athlete Mindset podcast, we dive into Kim Brady’s fascinating insights on athlete identity, the business and coaching world, and the importance of mental health.
As a subscriber, you will receive exclusive content and consistent updates on athlete mental health.
With your support and amplification, we can ensure more voices are heard and more individuals are impacted.
Topics explored in “Understanding Athlete Identity with Kim Brady”:
- Exploring athlete identity and the challenges of transitioning away from sports
- Discovering the immense value of skills acquired through sports in the world of business
- How sports can be a platform for finding one’s voice and personal growth
- Kim’s insights and reflections on her past experiences as a therapist
- A deep dive into Kim’s background and how it influences her current work
More about Kim Brady:
- 2x Founder/Entrepreneur
- 2x Author
- 30+ years as an LGBTQ Speaker and Advocate
- B.A. in Psychology, African American Studies minor from U.C. Berkeley; 4-year soccer scholarship recipient
- M.A. in Community Agency Counseling, Marital and Family Therapy specialty from Western Michigan University
- Athlete Mindset is part of the podcast network, QuietLoud Studios
- Presented by SportsE Media: a digital sports media brand for entrepreneurs engaged in sports
Social media and more:
- Lisa Bonta Sumii: LinkedIn | Instagram | AthMindset website
- SportsE Media: TikTok | Instagram | X
- Kim Brady: Website | LinkedIn | Facebook
Related episodes to “Understanding Athlete Identity with Kim Brady”:
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in Sports with Damon Wiley
- Understanding Mental Health | Culture in Action Podcast
- Michelle Colson | Footballer and Beyond
- Beat Provided By freebeats.io | Produced By White Hot
Lisa Bonta Sumii, LCSW | CEO & Founder of AthMindset®
Lisa brings a high level of expertise to the athlete mental health space, from both a clinical and performance focus. She works with elite youth athletes, collegiate student-athletes, Olympians/Olympic hopefuls, professional athletes, coaches, teams, and the entire sport ecosystem.
Lisa is the first-ever Mental Performance Coach for the Oakland Roots Sports Club, a men’s professional soccer team, in the USL, working alongside other coaches on the Technical Team, as well as the Sports Medicine staff.
Lisa is listed in the US Olympic & Paralympic Committee’s Mental Health Registry, the NFL Player Association’s Clinician Directory, and the Major League Rugby Mental Health and Wellness Directory.
As a direct response to need, Lisa founded AthMindset® – a diverse team of athlete-centered, licensed mental health clinicians and mental performance consultants, serving across several states.
Lisa is a professional podcast host and podcast guest. She hosts the Athlete Mindset Podcast and co-hosts Roots Radio. She is a keynote speaker, an accomplished TEDx Speaker, speaks nationally and internationally, and is often invited to speak at conferences and contribute to expert panels.
Lisa has been quoted in Time Magazine, Teen Vogue, Women’s Health Magazine, as well as being interviewed on the BBC World News and Radio Bliss, in Jordan. Her first book, The AthMindset® Workbook: Training your mind for optimal mental health in sport and in life is now available.
Lisa received her Master’s in Clinical Social Work from Smith College School for Social Work and attended the University of California at Santa Barbara as an undergraduate. She is a proud member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.