Celebrating Black Heritage Month with the first black president of the Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP).
“We can cope with adversity and we can navigate uncertainty. And maintain our health and wellness and in some instances, thrive, even in the midst of challenging situations.” (19:53) – Dr. Kensa Gunter
In this AthMindset episode, Lisa Bonta Sumii, LCSW, CSW, shares space with Dr. Kensa Gunter, a metro-Atlanta area licensed clinical and sport/performance psychologist.
Dr. Gunter believes that maintaining mental health is just as important as an athlete’s physical health. Also in this episode:
– Mental health is a state of well-being — Dr. Gunter discusses how we have resources to both maintain and restore it.
– Dr Gunter points to the importance of letting people be who they are in the “lived experience”.
– In Dr. Gunter’s words, Black Heritage Month is a time for everyone to take note of the “excellence within the black community” and she certainly embodies that excellence.
Dr. Kensa Gunter as described on the Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP) website:
Dr. Kensa Gunter is a licensed psychologist and a Certified Mental Performance Consultant (CMPC) through the Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP). In her Atlanta based private practice, she works with athletes providing individual counseling and sport psychology services. She has worked with athletes from individual and team sports competing at high school, collegiate, & professional levels. Dr. Gunter also provides consultation services to local organizations and serves as the clinical sport psychologist for a Division-I athletic department and local professional sport organizations.
Dr. Gunter is passionate about helping people particularly related to enhancing mental performance and decreasing the stigma around mental health. She is an advocate for cultural diversity and for being more intentional about inclusion in the context of sport and society.
This is the AthMindset Podcast Series on SportsEpreneur. And it’s all about mental health in sports.
I’m Lisa Bonta Sumii and this is the AthMindset Podcast Series on SportsEpreneur.
This podcast series is a space for conversations with athletes, coaches, practitioners, and stakeholders in sports. And it’s where those individuals share their perspectives, experiences, and thoughts on mental health in sports.
Eric Kasimov of SportsEpreneur is generously hosting the AthMindset Podcast Series on his platform as he deeply believes that these conversations are essential and deserve to be prioritized.
This is the AthMindset Podcast Series on SportsEpreneur. SportsEpreneur — the content platform where sports, entrepreneurship, and mental health collide!
If you are looking to start a podcast or create original content, you have to talk with the team at SportsEpreneur. I work with them and I vouch for them. It’s that simple. Go to SportsE.io to learn more.
Are you an athlete or entrepreneur looking to create content? Learn More.
Websites you should for sure check out:
- KazCM Podcast Production
- AthMindset | Lisa Bonta Sumii, LCSW, CSW
- Gunter Psychological Services
- Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP)
More content on Mental Health:
- AthMindset | NFLPA Director of Player Wellness | Amber Cargill, PsyD
- Normalizing Mental Health in Sports with Lisa Bonta Sumii
- SE69 | Sports Psychology and Mental Training with Henrik Hjarsbæk
- Lisa Bonta Sumii: LinkedIn, Twitter
- Dr. Kensa Gunter: LinkedIn, Twitter
- Eric Kasimov: Twitter, LinkedIn
That’s a wrap:
- Thank you for listening to this AthMindset Podcast Series episode on SportsEpreneur titled, “Sport Psychology Mentor and Leader, Dr. Kensa Gunter”.
- Follow this podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Follow this podcast on Spotify
- Intro Music, “escape” was provided by Pluto Tracks.
- Check out more from our content platform: SportsEpreneur. The platform where sports and entrepreneurship and now mental health collide!