“How will you take care of her mind and her well-being while she is a student-athlete at your institution?” –Dania Cabello’s father, talking to the soccer coaches at the University of California, Berkeley, upon her daughter being offered a scholarship to play soccer for them.
In this episode, Lisa Bonta Sumii shares space with Dania Cabello. “Dania is a first-generation American-born daughter of political refugees from Chile and Mapuche. She is an accomplished Oakland-born artist, athlete (including former Cal Bears soccer player), entrepreneur, and educator. As a former professional soccer player, herbalist, and academic, she weaves her expertise to center healing as a practice that involves mind, body, and spirit. Her medicine is founded on participatory practices that re-engage the body as sites of knowledge production and healing. Her work invites audiences through herbal medicine, visual art, and physical movement – across space and time – to critically address issues of access, visibility, race, immigration, gender, and joy.” (source)
This is the AthMindset Podcast Series on SportsEpreneur. And it’s all about mental health in sports.
From Lisa: I’m Lisa Bonta Sumii and this is the AthMindset Podcast Series on SportsEpreneur. This podcast series is a space for conversations with athletes, coaches, practitioners, and stakeholders in sports. And it’s where those individuals share their perspectives, experiences, and thoughts on mental health in sports.
Eric Kasimov of SportsEpreneur is generously hosting the AthMindset Podcast Series on his platform as he deeply believes that these conversations are essential and deserve to be prioritized.
This is the AthMindset Podcast Series on SportsEpreneur. SportsEpreneur — the content platform where sports, entrepreneurship, and mental health collide! If you are looking to start a podcast or create original content, you have to talk with the team at SportsEpreneur. I work with them and I vouch for them. It’s that simple. Go to SportsE.io to learn more.
Are you an athlete or entrepreneur looking to create content? Learn More.
Website worth a look:
- KazCM Podcast Production
- AthMindset | Lisa Bonta Sumii, LCSW, CSW
More mental health and soccer content:
- AthMindset | Project Myself with DeVante DuBose
- AthMindset | Soccer Raised Me with Nana Attakora
- AthMindset | D3 Soccer Player to Professional Athlete to Sports Psychologist with Juliano Pereira
- SE43 | The Modern Day GK with Mark Robinson
- Dania Cabello: LinkedIn | Cal player page
- Ojodelasol: Instagram | Website
- Lisa Bonta Sumii: LinkedIn | Twitter
- Eric Kasimov: Twitter | LinkedIn
- SportsEpreneur: TikTok | Instagram
That’s a wrap:
- Thank you for listening to this AthMindset Podcast Series episode on SportsEpreneur titled, “More Than An Athlete Stories with Dania Cabello”.
- Follow this podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Follow this podcast on Spotify
- Intro Music, “escape” was provided by Pluto Tracks.
- Check out more from our content platform: SportsEpreneur. The platform where sports and entrepreneurship and now mental health collide!