Key Takeaways from From the Field to Sports Journalism | Northwestern’s Sydney Supple:
- Networking for Athletes and Careers: Athletes are urged to connect with mentors and alumni to help navigate their careers, both during and after sports. Having someone who believes in you is a powerful tool to overcome setbacks.
- Social Media as a Tool: The potential of social media as a networking tool is highlighted, offering a platform to connect with fellow athletes, mentors, and industry professionals.
- Athlete Transition Out of Sports: The focus is on the mental health of athletes transitioning out of sports. Sydney praises Northwestern University for providing valuable resources and support for this critical phase.
- Career Aspirations: Sydney shares her excitement about her aspirations to pursue a career in journalism, encouraging others to find a passion that ignites a fire similar to their sports.
- Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL): A nuanced discussion around the new ability for college athletes to profit from their NIL, touching on potential disparities between athletes and the need for financial literacy. The pros and cons are examined, calling attention to the need for further exploration.
- Born and raised in Oshkosh, WI
- Pitcher and First Baseman for Northwestern University
- 2022 Big Ten Champion and 2022 Women’s College World Series
- Majoring in Journalism at Medill
- Content Creator for CBS Sports on the We Need To Talk show
- Big Ten and ESPN+ color commentator and play-by-play analyst
- Host of the Podcast, From The Players
- Northwestern Wildcats player page
- Social Media handles: Twitter | Instagram | TikTok
About the Athletes to Entrepreneurs podcast
- Sydney Supple: Twitter | Instagram | TikTok | Northwestern
- From The Players pages: SportsEpreneur | KazSource Podcast Network
- SportsEpreneur: TikTok | Instagram | Twitter
- Athletes to Entrepreneurs: Podcast
- Rob Finkelstein: LinkedIn
- Alumni Direct LLC: Website
- From The Players is the property of KazSource, Inc. Produced by and Part of SportsE Media
- Music provided by Haley Hooper | Website | Song: Love Me Anymore on Apple & Spotify
About From The Players:
From The Players exists for all of you past, present, and future players. This podcast is a place where we keep it real and hear from athletes about who they are beneath the jersey and off the field.
SE is a digital sports media brand & production company for entrepreneurs engaged in sports. If you are looking to start and manage a podcast of your own, let’s talk.