It’s amazing the difference you can make when you are dedicated to a cause. Hugh Roberts, athlete activist and professional soccer player — and our guest for this podcast episode, talks about it all in this conversation.
His passion to help his family and community is the driver to build his life outside of soccer — and for the time he transitions out of playing soccer, whenever that may be.
In this episode, Lisa Bonta Sumii, LCSW, CSW shares space with professional soccer player, Hugh Roberts. Hugh currently plays for Monterey Bay FC and he is the founder of BackYardFooty. He is an executive committee member of the USL Black Players Alliance and he is also an executive board member of the Anti-Racist Soccer Club. He manages to keep up with a rigorous practice schedule and find time for activism within his community.
Topics explored in this episode with Hugh Roberts | Athlete Activist and Professional Soccer Player
- Pro athletes are more than just the sport.
- Black Lives Matter movement and racism within the sport
- Social and racial activism
- Influences that made a clear impact
- Embracing new experiences
- Transitioning from soccer to life after soccer
- A day in the life of a professional soccer player
- Regional differences and their cultural impacts
Podcast episode moments:
15:01-18:22 – Hugh talks about his business, BackYardFooty, and how he used his podcast to spread awareness for the Black Lives Matter Movement. Those episodes were some of the most formative of his career. His ultimate goal is to lead a life of activism and entrepreneurship that far extends beyond professional soccer. He has a clear vision for the opportunities that surround him.
27:16-29:46 – Hugh talks about his interests outside of soccer. He talks about the Black Lives Matter Movement as it relates to mental health.
This is the AthMindset Podcast Series on SportsEpreneur. And it’s all about mental health in sports.
From Lisa: I’m Lisa Bonta Sumii and this is the AthMindset Podcast Series on SportsEpreneur. This podcast series is a space for conversations with athletes, coaches, practitioners, and stakeholders in sports. And it’s where those individuals share their perspectives, experiences, and thoughts on mental health in sports.
Eric Kasimov of SportsEpreneur is generously hosting the AthMindset Podcast Series on his platform as he deeply believes that these conversations are essential and deserve to be prioritized.
This is the AthMindset Podcast Series on SportsEpreneur. SportsEpreneur — the content platform where sports, entrepreneurship, and mental health collide! If you are looking to start a podcast or create original content, you have to talk with the team at SportsEpreneur. I work with them and I vouch for them. It’s that simple. Go to SportsE.io to learn more.
Are you an athlete or entrepreneur looking to create content? Learn More.
Website worth a look:
- Hugh Roberts | transfermarkt page
- KazCM Podcast Production
- AthMindset | Lisa Bonta Sumii, LCSW, CSW
More content around soccer and movements
- AthMindset | Soccer Raised Me with Nana Attakora
- AthMindset | More Than An Athlete Stories with Dania Cabello
- RAV | Responding to Racial Criticisms on the Ice with Greg Mauldin
- Hugh Roberts: LinkedIn | Instagram | BackYardFooty IG
- Lisa Bonta Sumii: LinkedIn | Twitter
- Eric Kasimov: Twitter | LinkedIn
- SportsEpreneur: TikTok | Instagram | Twitter
That’s a wrap:
- Thank you for listening to this AthMindset Podcast Series episode on SportsEpreneur titled, “Hugh Roberts | Athlete Activist and Professional Soccer Player”.
- Follow this podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Follow this podcast on Spotify
- Intro Music, “escape” was provided by Pluto Tracks.
- Check out more from our content platform: SportsEpreneur. The platform where sports and entrepreneurship and now mental health collide!